Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Checking the watch, waiting for 2011

New Years resolutions are a jip. They don’t mean squat – they’re generally thought up about half an hour before 01 Jan and in the midst of a margherita induced enthusiasm.

This year I will live by commandments, but not 10 because that would be far too long to read – but 6. Six is a good round number.

They will be meaningful and make sense to my everyday life. They will cover the 5 main ‘food groups’ of life; love, family, money, sustenance and the internet.

Let me begin;

Thou shalt allow the wee ones to make some of their own decisions – it’s time to let go, they are 4 and 2 now – they have minds of their own – if they want to wear their PJs all day who am I to argue, Yoghurt for every meal? I’m in! Want to learn how to drive? Don’t ask your Father.

Thou shalt spend more ‘quality’ time with the husband – in 2011 I will no longer consider joint reading of the wee ones bedtime story as ‘quality couple time’, I will not consider scrolling through Coles online picking out the groceries as romantic, snapping my shoulder back into joint is not a massage and intimacy does not mean plucking my eyebrows in the bathroom mirror whilst he showers. That is all I will say on this – as I’m pretty sure my mother may read it one day.

Thou shalt not buy unnecessary items of clothing for the wee ones – next year I refuse to be sucked in by;
‘Spend $150 and get free postage’
‘10% off your 50th item’
‘Buy one get one completely useless accessory free’
‘We’ve got pretty things, lots of pretty things here lady with a credit card come here, chook chook chook chook……’

Thou shalt not commit to any detox, cleanse, weightloss challenge, dietry reform, exercise regime, soup/fruit/cheese/tinned tomato/gin only diets UNLESS I am coerced into signing a legally binding agreement. Nuff said.

Thou shalt not cyber stalk B grade celebrities anymore – come on we all do it – 2010 was the year for cyber scandal – how can you not spend time looking up twitter accounts, Facebook, Myspace, Formspring, Fingerpost (ok I made that last one up – but it’s good huh?). Excuse me a minute, I just need to get one last read of Kim Duthie’s blog in before I give it all up……


Thou shalt never use the term ‘Thou shalt’ again.

The end,

Happy New Year have a blasting 2011.

E

xx

3 comments:

  1. Love it. Truly.

    Although, I'm not sure I believe you on number 4. I know for a fact you're sniffing around for detox ideas....

    Oh and, Kim who?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sssshhhhh!

    (Google it.......)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What took you so long? ; )

    I've been waiting for your next installment... but then, I'm guessing you have more of a life than me. It was worth the wait, though.

    Oh, and I had to google Kim Duthie AND Formspring. I am so out of the loop, culturally...

    ReplyDelete